Day 13 of my blogpost a day August challenge.

To recap, five different techniques were shared to make the LeMoyne star; each by a different designer.
(My first post about these was *here*.)
Needleturn applique was the fourth technique —
While I've done a lot of needleturn in the past, I didn't enjoy this as much as the previous ones - all 8 points of the star were cut separately and sewed back together again....haha...sounds just like patchwork doesn't it?

If I'd used different coloured fabrics, it might have been a little more interesting!
And the final technique was - apparently - English Paper Piecing - but using special printed stickers and machine sewing so I was a bit intrigued as to how it was done.
Because I didn't have access to the stick-on templates, I used the suggested Freezer Paper. My freezer paper was recycled (that was all I had) and didn't stick very well (!!). I ended up drawing lines on the fabric instead of using my falling off freezer paper. It was a little like the Y-seam technique in the end.
It sewed together ok though and here it is.
It was interesting to explore the different techniques and I'm pleased with all the blocks. I think I enjoyed the first three stars the best - Y-seams, FPP and Curved Piecing, but all the techniques had their place.
Of course, 5 blocks don't make a quilt, so I will be making a few more LeMoyne stars at some stage to complete the set!
'til next time,
happy stitches,
Raewyn





such pretty stars!
ReplyDeleteI've never got on with paper piecing templates..always seems like added faff to get the job done!
ReplyDeleteNice furry oversee-er...❤️
an interesting exercise with excellent results i'd say....4 more and 9 will make a nice smallish wall quilt that could be finished quickly...fyi
ReplyDeleteWhat technique will you use to create the extras? It sounds like a great exercise in learning some quite different techniques to make the same block.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting exercise. I wonder what you will use them for! x
ReplyDeleteLove all those stars. Some very interesting techniques!
ReplyDelete