First of all I finished up this wee wallhanging... I'm extra pleased to get this finished; it is my OMG project I pledged to finish this month. Already I am loving this One Monthly Goal linkup which Heidi of Red Letter Quilts is running...it gave me the push I needed to finish this wallhanging.
As you can see I put a yellow peeper around the stitchery (the only part I had completed at the start of the month). After the quilting I bound it with a two coloured binding which gave the effect of another yellow peeper. The photo below shows that one strip of the binding is cut wider than the other; the binding is attached from the back and then machine sewn down on the front.
Karen of karensquiltscrowscardinals did a very detailed tutorial on this method last year - I pinned it at the time and actually remembered to go back to it! (How often do you do a google search and discover something you've already saved? That's what I usually do - but not this time!)
This was a quick and easy way to bind... I am a little fussy with lines of stitching showing where I don't want them and the back of this isn't entirely pretty but the front looks ok!Thank you to Heidi for helping us set goals and meet them - here is the linkup for the OMG It's Finished Party!
(Don't forget you can click on the photos to enlarge them).
Nigel was still allowing me to sew after finishing that so I worked on some 9-patches I've been making as my leader and ender project this week....
..they're also my attempt to trim my scrapstash a little... this month's colour over at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is blue. (Actually I discovered a little late that it's actually blue with a touch of purple..oops)
|What a difference half an inch makes!!|
The strips are cut at 1" and 1 ½" so finished block sizes are 1½" and 3"
The 9-patches will form some projects I'm still mulling over but I'm happy just to be sewing up some scraps at this stage :-)
I've linked up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again - see more inspiring scrappy projects *here*.
Last post I was finishing up my Calendar Bears stitcheries. I've done them all now and even sashed and sewed the blocks together. Next up for this is borders and quilting...woot woot the end is in sight!
|A little more detail.|
While we've had some welcome rain lately, we've also been having some long hot summer days and the garden is starting to get that high summer look of faded flowers. However the Norfolk Island Hibiscus tree below is still flowering like crazy and is quite a bee factory... there's been quite a hummmmmm happening in it this month.
|You can just see the sprinkle of pink....|
|A mass of flowers...|
|And many happy bees, humming away with their legs laden with pollen.|
I'm hoping for a weekend of sewing, probably under the fan, hope you're keeping cool - or warm - where ever you may be,
'till next time, happy creating,