My quilting thoughts and inspirations sprinkled with a glimpse of life down on the farm

Thursday, August 20, 2026

A chilled day —

Day 20 of my August blogpost a day challenge

It was a fairly relaxed sort of a day today.
We started with another frost!!! That's our third heavy one in the last few weeks; it's a bit of a record for us here in Northland!
But it morphed into a lovely day - I enjoyed my lunch in the sun —

These 30 oldest calves moved into the ranks of Big Calves today as I put them on once-a-day milk feeding. 
They're eating lots of grass now and I get the problem that if I'm feeding them twice a day, that some are full of grass,etc, that some don't drink, so the others drink too much and then they get poo-ey tails and it's a bit of a messy cycle. Easiest to put them on once a day which also encourages the grass eating. They get a more concentrated milk feed so don't lose out that way.
Anyway, that's 30 less to feed in the afternoons now - yaay!!

Our calving has really slowed down in the last week, 3 calves in 5 days I think BUT last night 8 new calvers came in so I had 8 babies to teach to feed this morning! That took a while and all of a sudden the calf shed seemed overflowing. (When it gets to 40 it starts to feel a little crowded.)
These are the new ones —

I had some lovely sewing time this afternoon. I continued on with the Summertime Quilt I chatted about yesterday; I laid out another new block and sewed yesterday's unfinished one in conjunction with the new one and got them both finished. 
The family so far —
I need 3 more of these blocks.

And I had time to tidy up a few more leader-ender HST for my as yet undisclosed quilt! Very scrappy and nice easy sewing —

Funniest tail of the season award goes to this calf —

'til next time,
happy stitches,
Raewyn

1 comment:

  1. That calf has a longer tail too doesn't it? I like the stripe! Your leader and ender blocks are coming along well as are your Summertime bocks, great when you can get an afternoon to sew. Good some of the calves are bigger now but then bang!! More little ones arrive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate them all and try my best to reply. Have a great day!!
(If you are a no-reply or anonymous blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address.)