My quilting thoughts and inspirations sprinkled with a glimpse of life down on the farm

Thursday, August 6, 2026

Children and sewing

(Day 6 of a post a day during August!)

Back before we got too busy with calving, Lily and George had a sleepover so their parents could go away to watch a rugby test match.

It's a bonus when there is a calf or two to cuddle—
Helping to fetch the freshly calved cows—
Yaay, he's feeding!
There's all sorts of things that are compulsory when you stay at Ganma and Gandad's. Hunting for fruit, feeding the chooks, farmwork AND sewing.
We'll be busy doing something completely different, when all of a sudden one of them pipes up, "Ganma can we sew something?".
No point me having pre-planned ideas; their ideas are their own and I just need to go with the flow.

'Concept sketches' —
Lily wanted to make a Flower cushion. No, not a cushion with a flower on it, but a flower shaped cushion!
Her sketch involved a skinny stem with leaves and multiple petals. And it had to be turned inside out as she learnt about hidden seams last time she sewed here.
She finally realised that appliqueing her flower to a rectangular background might work best - whew - so that is what we ended up with.
They're getting old enough that they can use tools, etc, and do a lot more by themselves. I possibly did about an inch of sewing on each project to get them started and that was all they needed —
Learning about vliesofix and applique mats—
George initially wanted just a flat picture and half way through decided that he would make a cushion as well.
He wanted me to google a shark for him but I made him draw his own (aren't I mean?!). He was really proud of what he came up with.
The applique shapes were sewn around with straight stitch. I think they will last well enough —
We used every last bit of stuffing so I guess I'll be stocking up on that in case sewing is on the agenda next time they stay :-)
So much fun ♥
'til next time 
happy stitches
Raewyn

1 comment:

  1. Aren’t those two clever and so creative?!! Love how the cushions turned out. Baby animals are all so irresistible, and time with grandkids is so very precious isn’t it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate them all and try my best to reply. Have a great day!!
(If you are a no-reply or anonymous blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address.)