My quilting thoughts and inspirations sprinkled with a glimpse of life down on the farm

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Mum's thread books

(Day 11 of my blogpost a day challenge in August)

I'm still working my way through the bits and pieces from Mum's that ended up here at our place.
When she first got into embroidery many years ago, she started making thread books for her DMC threads.
They were one thing I wanted to keep (and use!) as they'd been her constant companion. There was always one or another out on the side table next to her lounge chair.
I finally decided where to put them, emptying out a drawer for them.
And I thought I'd photograph them before I put them away.
I think that this was the first one she made. I understand that she got the chart from an Embroiderers Conference in the 'Wonderful Wairarapa'.  
Full of threads —
For there is no friend like a sister to calm to strengthen to cheer to lift and to love.
(It's interesting, Mum wasn't known as being overly sentimental but she was not adverse to stitching sentimental prose.)
Three smaller ones - here she used the linen rather than upholstery fabric for the cover. Forever practical, my Mum.
Tied together with shoelaces!
And tucked into their new storage space - they fit perfectly.
(Now to find somewhere to put all the papers I pulled out of the drawer!!!!)

We're not sure what caused last night's power cut - it was off for a couple of hours. We recently bought a battery back up for our internet connection - usually when the power goes off, everything goes off. That was great last night but we decided to have an early night.

Today I had a hemming job to do for ED. I took a big breath and got them done and out of the way —
In the end, it wasn't too hard a job - the fabric was a little slinky and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to sew - not too bad - whew.
'til next time
happy stitches,
Raewyn

1 comment:

  1. Your mums thread books. What a treasure. They look beautiful. We get regular 'brown outs' here in Timaru. The power dips just enough to knock out the internet and one or two other bits and pieces, but the TV keeps going and the lights don't even dim.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate them all and try my best to reply. Have a great day!!
(If you are a no-reply or anonymous blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address.)