Day 17 of my August blogpost a day challenge
She loved the quilts I made but only ever made four (that I know of) herself.
The first one was a quilt she made when she was expecting me - a VERY long time ago.
It was a traditional quilt - dressmaking fabric scraps, an old flannelette sheet on the back, and used woollens on the inside. I wouldn't call it beautiful but it is treasured all the same!
And I like to think it kept me, and my siblings, nice and cosy ♥ ( I do remember it on my bed when I was quite young.)
No quilting at all, but it's held together very well.
Lots of 50s and 60s fabrics - very retro I guess you'd say??? I do recognise some of the fabrics - I have an old apron of hers in one of the black/brown fabrics, and she made me shorts from old dresses in a couple of the other fabrics.
When she started having grandchildren she made her second quilt. As each child was born she cross stitched an initial and DOB piece, as well as numerous cross stitch pictures.
(Today's photo isn't any better!)
She hand quilted this one; stitching in the ditch around the squares and hearts in the plain blocks.


Unfortunately Marco, who was born 13 years after the next youngest cousin, didn't make the quilt which my sister was disappointed to discover recently. Neither did two step-grandies so I guess he's not alone!
Mum finished this quilt, and the next two, off as duvets. Very light batting for the quilting but then another back so an inner could be inserted. She thought it would make them more washable/useable. And she used sheets (new this time!) for all the fabric in the quilt, aside from the cross stitched pieces.
Mum also made two quilts for two of the grandies - one went to YD, and the other went to one of my brother's daughters. Both were crazy patch style with lots of dressmaking fabrics again. I know she intended to make more but never did - I have a box full of cut pieces and one day I will make ONE more of them - maybe when Marco has children???? Our one is tucked away right now (as a few things are when our son took over the downstairs room), but I'll pull it out one of these days for a photo shoot.
'til next time,
happy stitches,
Raewyn







No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate them all and try my best to reply. Have a great day!!
(If you are a no-reply or anonymous blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address.)